Launch of GHY-6 & Milo Institute Ambassador Announcement
Where: Goonhilly Earth Station, Helston, TR12 6LQ
When: Friday June 11th, 5pm
What: As part of the G7 summit, you are invited to the opening of the GHY-6 antenna and mission control centre at Goonhilly Earth Station. There will also be exclusive announcements on the next era of space exploration from Cornwall, including the signing of the MILO Ambassador collaboration between Cornwall Development Company, through AeroSpace Cornwall, and the MILO Space Institute.
Why: The 32m satellite dish has been upgraded through a 2-year programme funded by the Cornwall and Isles of Scilly LEP, UK Space Agency and ESA. Following training missions where the antenna received the UK’s first communications from the surface of Mars, the GHY-6 is now qualified.
It is the world’s first commercial deep space antenna and will become part of the trusted ESA and NASA deep space networks.
The MILO Ambassador collaboration between AeroSpace Cornwall and the MILO Space Institute is an exciting partnership, which will accelerate technology maturation across the Cornwall Space Cluster. The established ecosystem, designed to mature new technologies and space science programs, offers members of the Cornwall Space Cluster access to relevant expertise in satellite build, test, integration and operation. AeroSpace Cornwall are working with Goonhilly Earth Station to deliver the MILO Ambassador program, focusing initially on the Cornwall and Isles of Scilly region then expanding across the UK and the rest of the world.
Who: You will have the opportunity to tour the Goonhilly site, as well as host interviews with representatives of Cornwall’s space cluster and the UK space industry.
Cornwall Space Cluster:
Covid-19 Health & Safety Advice:
In accordance with our guidelines:
• We will require evidence of a negative COVID-19 test (lateral flow) from within the previous 24 hours of your attendance. There will also be limited capacity for onsite testing if you are unable to provide the evidence mentioned above, but please make your own testing arrangements ahead of time if at all possible.
• All attendees will be required to comply with standard social distancing requirements – 2 m wherever possible or 1 m+ in areas where the former may be difficult.
• Wearing of face coverings will be mandatory indoors unless you are eating, drinking or delivering information as an event speaker.
• All areas used for the event will be ventilated to the outside, which may affect room temperatures.
• We will be participating in the NHS Test & Trace scheme.
Contact Gail.Eastaugh@cornwalldevelopmentcompany.co.uk to sign up.
Whether you’re looking to locate in Cornwall, or to start exporting beyond its borders, get in touch with our friendly team to talk through your needs.